Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Diary in Pencils Art Studio



By Okechukwu Nwafor

October 16 2004
Pencils Art studio
Emma Nnaemeka Street
Awka
6.00pm.

I sat on the studio, overlooking the street. There was the characteristic evening buzz. The noise on the street constituted a heavy pollution. The blaring horns from both cars and ‘Okadas’ (motor bikes) pierced my brains causing me intermittent loss of concentration. I had just finished sketching a portrait and I sat in front of my studio, ruminating, pondering, and trying to empty my pregnant mind.
My mind was heavy with many loads and as I tried to unload it, it gathered more. Thoughts of my country came; thoughts of my own immediate environment also came. The air of sadness and bitterness around me ceased to go. The general state of darkness produced strong dozes of anxiety and tension inside me. I shuddered. I thought of the responsibilities challenging me to manhood. I thought of this fight, which toughened with the passing days. I wore a pensive look. People walked past my studio and we exchanged greetings, though I was absent-minded. I tried to harden my emotions. I tried to take solace in the Lord. I tried to digest some inspirational words I learnt from Napoleon and Norman my friends, finally, I hardened. I said the following words:

Let the world go to blazes.
Let everybody go to blazes.
I don’t give a damn.
My thought pattern, however, changed to other things, having perhaps, rid my mind of poignant memories. I suddenly took a quick glimpse on the wall clock. 7.00pm. I stood up, parked my portraits inside the studio and left
                                                                                               
Friday 29th Oct. 2004.
Today was hectic. Chigozie Anarado slept in my house on the 28th of Oct. 2004. We talked at length on many issues including marriage. Today being Friday he left and I rounded off a painting, which I started the previous day. I will be going to Enugu with Mr. Nwanna for the mounting of works for Africa Heritage 2004.
We got to National Museum Enugu slated for Africa Heritage and  expected to see PACA members mounting works but none of them were present safe for some unfamiliar boys we met mounting Africa Heritage Banners on the premises. We met the P.R.O of National Museum who also complained that he had not received any message from Ayo. Cliff called Ayo’s G.S.M number and got him on line. He directed Cliff to see the director to make arrangements for the opening of the premises the next day being Saturday to enable PACA members mount the works since the mounting could no longer hold on Friday 29th as planned. We did so and left for Ogui road. We stopped briefly at Noble Art shop where I bought 2 big tubes of white & cadmium yellow hue Winsor & Newton oil colour, at N1,600 each, 2 yards of canvas at N300 each. We arrived at PACA office where we met Chike Obeagu (painter), Ifeanyi Aniude (painter) & Ayo Adewumni all working together in readiness for the exhibition tomorrow. We left Enugu around 5.00pm. On our way back to Awka we could not stop discussing the problems associated with PACA, and life generally.

                                               
30th Oct. 2004
Saturday.
This morning, I was fired by an overwhelming desire to succeed. I always dreaded the thought of poverty. Sometimes I was gripped with a feeling of melancholia and desolation. I ground my teeth and flexed my muscles ever ready to defeat poverty in this battle of life. So, on this day, when this feeling came, I started my paintings again. I aimed for ten high quality sizable paintings for an exhibition. I worked as though there was no tomorrow. At about 9.30am, I went to Ofe Akwu joint and ate. I went and received the injection at Dr Akpati’s hospital. I forgot the injection the previous day, probably because of my moody state of mind. Since 2001 when my state of mind changed, I almost gravitated towards the condition of a hypochondriac. The thought of sickness had haunted me so much so that I almost became a drug addict. But sometimes I vigorously shook off such thought and pushed forward. That was temporarily after I had read through the pages of Napoleon Hill or Norman Pearce. Because of this I could not differentiate real illness from imaginary one. That was why when malaria struck me I almost gave up but thanks to Halfan and Dr. Akpati.

I came back and completed 3 paintings. 3.30pm. I went to Regina Caeli junction and ate foofoo & egwusi soup. I took my drugs and left for Benjamin Okolo father’s funeral. At the funeral venue I saw Jaco & K.C. We sat together and enjoyd good times. I commiserated with Benjamin, though I did that earlier. I gave him 200 Naira. I later left with K.C & Jaco to my house. They both saw my works. We all left and while K.C & Jaco went to St. Patrick Cathedral, I went to my Art Studio from where I went to send Nkiru mails.

I came back around 7.30pm and was re-visited by the ambition to defeat poverty. I swore to do so. I fed on indomie & egg.



Sunday 31st Oct. 2004
I wanted to work but was prevented by a stomach upset. I lay on the bed and rested for sometime. I went to Mr. Nwanna’s house and we both drove to Nnamdi Azikiwe University (Unizik), then to Alex Asigbo’s house. Alex was absent, but the wife gave Alex’s PhD thesis to Mr. Nwanna to deliver to his (Alex’s) supervisor at Ibadan. I gave the wife 200 Naira for the newborn baby. We drove back to my house where I drafted a note for Nkiru & enclosed 1,000 Naira & ear ring to be delivered by Mr. Nwanna to her at Ibadan. Mr. Nwanna left & I worked on Ifeoma Ozoemena’s portrait and some others. I rested once more and called Nkiru alerting her of Cliff’s arrival the next day to Ibadan around 9.00am. I went to church, came back and read. Then I slept.

Monday 1st Nov. 2004.
Today is the All Saints day. I went to 6.00am mass at St. Patrick Cathedral. I went to see Dr. Akpati for the final medical check-up. As I prepared to go to Unizik, Chioma Ezenagu called me and directed me to one Okey Chukwuogo who she said needed a portrait. I went to his (Chukwuogo’s) house beside the stadium. On entering the sitting room I saw Nnatuanya, an old artist friend and portraitist. We came for the same mission. Suddenly the man in question, Okey Chukwuogo, entered. He is an architect, a handsome looking man in his late forties. We all engaged in lively art discussion. He promised to give me a job and also to visit my Pencils studio the next day. I left for UNIZIK. At UNIZIK, I met Chris Ibenegbu and convinced him to go to Enugu with me for the opening ceremony of Afrika Heritage 2004. Since he had a car, I promised to buy fuel. At last we left. I bought 900 Naira worth of fuel on our way. We got to National Museum, Abakaliki Road Enugu, the venue of the exhibition at about 2.00pm. The exhibition opened with a performance by the Enugu State Cultural Troupe. Present during the opening ceremony were Director, National Museum Enugu, Barr. Mrs. Anyaegbunam, Henry Mujunga, PACA representative from Uganda, Director, Alliance Francaise Enugu, Syl Paris Koutoun, PACA representative from Benin Republic, Enyo Dackey, PACA representative from Togo, President PACA Nigeria, Nnaemeka Egwuibe, Ayo Adewunmi, Krydz Ikwuemesi and some other artists from the above mentioned countries. The exhibition was declared open by the Director, National Museum Enugu. After going through the works, I spoke with Krydz briefly and then left for Awka with Chris Ibenegbu. I came back and checked email but none from Nkiru. I also sent a mail to Carpenter.

Tuesday. 2nd Nov. 2004.
I took my portraits to my studio, Pencils Art Studio in readiness for Arc. Okey Chukwuogo’s  visits. I waited till 10.00 am but he did not come so I left for National Secondary School (NSS). I booked an appointment with N.S.S to deliver a lecture on the career prospects of Fine and Applied Arts to the students. I did that successfully. The students were thrilled. The management in appreciation gave me a brown envelope containing N2,000. As I was rounding off, Okey Chukwuogo called me on phone. I told him I was on my way.

I met him in my studio with Chioma Ezenagu, a third year Theatre Arts student and a friend who introduced me to Okey. I discussed with Okey and listened to his criticisms of my works, some of which I did not take. They later left. Chioma came back later and met me inside Unity compound where we were struggling to kill a snake that had just ran into some heaps of planks. We later killed the snake. I went with Chioma to Ken’s fast food joint where I bought food for both of us.

Wed. 3rd Nov. 2004.
I left for UNIZIK for a lecture with 3rd year students. After the lecture I left for Pencils Art Studio.  Mr. Amifor came. Innocent Okoye also came and after spending time with them they both left. Uche Osunkwo also came. I later went to Onwurah Street where I met with my Mum.

No comments: